Monday, June 7, 2010

Cassandra Warren.


Sg. What inspired you when you first got into art?
Cw. I've been drawing for as long as I can remember. When I was a kid, I used to scribble all over the pictures in my storybooks. Then I was obsessed with drawing animals, particularly lions, dolphins, and unicorns. After that, I took all of the art classes that I could in high school, and by the time I was 15 or 16 I realized that I wouldn't be happy unless I was making art for the rest of my life, and for a long time I was convinced that I wanted to be a tattoo artist. Anyway, I guess I'm saying that there wasn't a defining point of inspiration for "getting into" art. It seems as though it's always been there.

Sg. Do you still find inspiration in this?
Cw. Taking from my first point above (the obsession with drawing animals) -- definitely. Other creatures have always been fascinating to me. Everything from their shapes, movements, habits, and natural purity. And although I no longer want to be a tattoo artist, I'm still inspired by tattooists/tattoos, which is probably obvious.

Sg. Any other shows coming up that you would like to let the views know about?
Cw. I think I may take a break from gallery shows for a while. I don't have anything definite booked for the near future, and for now I'm going to try and dip into other ventures. I'm opening up a new Etsy shop that will have paper goods featuring my drawings, as well as some prints.

Sg. Anything else that you would like to add?

Cw. Can I be cheesy? I'm going to be cheesy. Thank you. To the Slingluffs, to every gallery that's ever taken a chance on me, to every artist that I've shown with and who has inspired me, and especially to everyone that follows my work and takes the time to write me and comes to my shows. You are all lovely, and while drawing itself makes me happy, you make it even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment