Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Q and A's with Ed Trask.

Slingluff: So tell the viewers a little bit more about your work.

Mr. Trask: I have been focusing on a lot of issues,conditions, and environments
i see around me. Themes dealing with Progress vs, Preservation,
bringing local rural, communal attitudes back into the city, and how
important things like graffiti and public art can be to revitalizing
neighborhoods instead of destroying them.. My paintings try to bring
the viewer into this world whether it be through a landscape
connecting us back home through power lines , or a portrait of a
building, or place. Its all about making a connection through
painting. I love working in many layers of color that have been very
physically put down on canvas or wood, forcing the viewer to see a
battle that occurs between the surface of my paintings against what is
representational and what is abstract.. I believe that for every man
made perfect angle nature counter acts with something organic .. The
buildings i paint are almost like grandparents in that they are
structured,wise, grounded,and full of stories old and new .

S: What inspired you when to get into art?

T: I have always produced art whether it be drawing on skateboards or
mimicking record covers , to painting on canvas or murals. I think i
was lucky to have parents that took me to many shows and museums and
gave me the freedom to dream of being a artist. I realised that
inspiration and beauty is all around us.

S: Do you still find inspiration in this?

T:If a person wakes up in the morning and is un able to find anything
humbling, beautiful and inspiring that you've become dead to the
creative world. I just need to simply open my eyes and see ...
q Any other shows coming up that you would like to let the views know about?
No just trying to find some new places to show outside of virginia,
just finished a show here in Philadelphia and a show and residency in
Park City Utah, so its time to get caught up on commissions, mural
work, and a new body of work..


S: Anything else that you would like to add?

T: I simply love Philadelphia and can only hope to get some more work
here and some murals scattered around the city over the next year.


This upcoming weekend will be the last weekend to check out Ed's work at the gallery so if you can not make it out to take a look be sure to check it out online at SlingluffGalleryOnline.

No comments:

Post a Comment